Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oooh La La

Many folks make it a daily goal to try and do something that they've never done, be it skydiving, saying hi to the creepy guy that works a few cubicles down from you, trying unagi. Now, while that's not a goal of mine (daily blogging is plenty in the one-goal-a-day category as far as I'm concerned), I totally did try something new today: I attended a painting class with some freaking awesome girls in my small group.


Are we or are we not the complete spittin' image of all that is fine art?

After a delectable bout of dinner and delightful conversation over sushi (!!!), we went to Creatively Yours, where for our Groupon-tastic price of $10, we attended a two-hour painting seminar that included a ginormous canvas, paintbrushes, paint, the works.

It started as all good things do: with a blank canvas, chocolate, and a community bottle of cheapo pink fizzy wine.


My finished product. I call it "Polar Bears Drinking Milk In a Snowstorm." (I kid, I kid.)

Our painting tutorial for the evening was guiding us step-by step on how to paint an abstract vase of abstract daisies. Armed with our four-color palette and fancy paintbrushes, we set to work and made things look absolutely beautiful.

Our works in progress. Mine's the angry-textured one next to Christina's blue-background piece.

After much pleasant chatter, dancing to *NSYNC and Jackson 5 jams, texturing and learning that I tend to have quite an angry way with brush strokes, and approximately two hours, four colors, and twenty some-odd painted daisies later, we had ourselves a masterpiece.

Above: a masterpiece. You're welcome.

So I think that despite my angry texturing and my wonky way of drawing stems (the artist that was teaching us had stems so perfect that I kind of wanted to throw paint at her just to mess things up), I'm overall way proud of my efforts. (This was made evident by every five seconds of painting, when I'd gush things like, "Oh, this is so pretty, you guys!")

The company was absolutely delightful and really made the trip even more worthwhile. And seriously: are we complete artistic geniuses or what?

Ta daaaa!

Now the only dilemma is finding out where David will let me hang this gorgeous little piece of work, or where I can hang more... because I totally want to do this again, and very pronto.


No comments:

Post a Comment