Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent: Day One

First day without sweets was a success. The only ironic part was that the Girl Scout cookies that I'd waited ages for decided to come in today. They couldn't have arrived yesterday, when I was still allowed to indulge, oh no. And so, I'll have a box of Trefoils and a box of Savannah Smiles waiting for me after Easter.

I did hear this little tidbit from the Ash Wednesday service tonight: Sundays are meant to be "feast days," which means that you're permitted to have what you'd been denying yourself all week, but only once a week. Anyone else know about this?

Either way, I think I'll be careful with what I do with my Sundays. I'm determined to make this whole Lenten season not about losing weight. Will it be awesome if that happens as a result of denying myself sugary treats? Sure. Should that be my goal for the next 40 days? No.

I'll let you folks know how I'm doing as I putter along.

1 comment:

  1. Sundays are feast days because we are celebrating Jesus on Sundays. So while you shouldn't over indulge (because Jesus sacrificed for us, we can sacrifice for Him), we are encouraged to feast a little to show our respect and gratitude. =)

    ReplyDelete