Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oh, professional life

Scene: Today at work, when I answer the phone.

Employee: I need my password for herpderp.derp.*

Me: Okay. Let's try clicking that "forgot your password?" link on the login page.

Employee: ...

Me: ...It's on the left-hand side. Go ahead and click on it. It'll ask you for your email address. Go ahead and type your email address. It's herp.derp@herpderp.derp *

Employee: (Repeats the email address back to me 100% incorrectly)

Me: ...

After much correction, we finally get the email address correct, and I effectively guide Employee to click the Submit button.

Employee: I think it sent.

Me: Okay, great! Now, check your company email in a few minutes, and the password reset instructions will be sent to you.


Phone rings. It's Employee again.

Employee: So, I'm looking at this password reset email, and I don't quite know what to do with it.

Me: ...

Me: I'm not sure what you mean. Would you mind reading the email to me so I can help you out?

Employee: "To reset your password, click on the following URL." What's that mean?

Me: ...

Me: There should be a web address that follows that sentence. Do you see it?

Employee: Uh huh.

Me: Click on that, and it will take you to a web page that'll allow you to reset your password.

Employee: It won't let me click on it.

Me: That's okay. If it won't let you click on the text, let's try copying it and pasting it into your web browser.

Employee: I don't know how to do that.

Me: ...Well, maybe I can try to remote into your email account, and--

Employee: My email? I'm not in my email.

Me: You're not?

Employee: No.

Me: But you're reading the email to me.

Employee: Yes.

Me: ...How are you reading me the email if you're not in your email program?

Employee: Oh, I printed it out.

 


This is my life, you guys.


* Proper nouns have been derped to protect my employment.

2 comments: