Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Southern Fried Specialties

When I was knee-high to a grasshopper, my family and I would sometimes hit up this country, southern-style restaurant called PoFolks. I don't remember much about the place, save that the decor was straight from the Li'l Abner set. And anything that looks like Dogpatch, USA is okay in my book.

I think at some point, PoFolks dropped the "Po" (perhaps out of being politically correct, or just in order to cater to not only "Po" folks, but rich ones too), and incidentally, they also dropped out of southeastern Virginia. Good news, though: There's a location or two right here in metro Atlanta.

I've been there a few times with David. Tonight we dined there with his folks and noshed on some delectable southern goodies. David had chicken 'n' waffles for the first time ever (I'm sure Gladys Knight's Chicken & Waffles restaurant in Midtown is miles better, but you know), and of course, topped it all off with the most decadent peach muffins in the whole world. No, really. It's a buttery, airy, fluffy treat that has real chunks of peaches in it - a delicacy so decadent that they simply must be serving these puppies in every dining room in Heaven. Boy howdy.

They sell the peach muffin batter at the restaurant, and last time we were there, I bought a tub of the stuff, only to remember: Dag nabbit, we don't have any muffin pans. Worry not; I used the ol' noodle and put the stuff in a cake pan instead. Wha-bam: PEACH CAKE. (Didn't buy any batter tonight, but there's always next time.)

And so, having just recently returned from such a meal, and as I'm presently chock full of peach batter and baked potato, I'm going to sleep mighty good tonight. Yessiree.

1 comment:

  1. PoFolks! Holy crap! There's one in Buena Park, near Knott's Berry Farm (which is like an hour away), and my family used to go every time we went to Knott's! Wow, I haven't thought about that in years. And now I want biscuits. Damn.

    ReplyDelete