Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Return from the Tweetbook Fast, Part 2

For what it's worth, I came back from this whole social media-less experience with a few nuggets of sobering truth.

1. I'm generally irrelevant. And I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. There could be a great many things worse than being useless on Facebook. It just means that I've got my mind on things a bit more profound than whether I'm liking every single person's status/picture/etc.

2. There's a fine, fine line between voicing your opinions and considering all those that oppose you to be mindless, uneducated cretins.  I'm looking at you, presidential election.

3. I can still have friends. In fact, I'll even make the ballsy claim that my friendships have felt more enriched when I left Facebook and Twitter for a bit. I've sought folks out. They've sought me out. We've had good times. It's involved more effort and, true to what you might think, a little more effort makes the reward all the sweeter.

4. Facebook does make friends-having easier, though. Which is why I'm gonna stick around. The break, though, has reminded me that I don't need to check it on my phone/computer every stinking minute. I can get on when I can, provide input when/if it's valuable, and -- gasp -- have a real life.

I needed to remind myself of that. I may have 99 problems, but Facebook ain't one.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I pretty much agree! I've done a few short Social Media fasts recently, as well, and during those few days I wasn't worrying about who was or wasn't posting on my wall or liking my statuses. Nobody seemed to notice I was gone, but does that matter so much? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete