Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Where dreams come true

Some folks could just pee their pants with happiness when they catch a glimpse of this, and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm one of them.



It's fine. Color me a Disney nut. Or, as some may put it, a Disnut.

In the course of my brief, 8-month long stint as a Cast Member at the Happiest Place On Earth, I've come to understand that there are two breeds of Disney Cast Member, where: (1) working at Disney has further bolstered an affinity for all things Mickey Mouse, or (2) being a Cast Member has jaded any previously rosy viewpoints on Disney culture.

I'm of the first school of thought. Working for the Mouse didn't corrupt my outlook. The magic wasn't ruined - if anything, it was enhanced because I knew what great lengths Cast Members went to in order to ensure quality and, yes, magical memories for guests of all ages. Maybe that's a very cutesy, warm-and-fuzzy approach to life, but I consider myself the better from it.

One of the best, still-makes-me-tear-up Disney memories is watching the "Wishes" fireworks show at Magic Kingdom.



The first time I watched it, I was a college senior on her epic Spring Break. The sorority sisters I traveled with wanted to get a good view of the castle, and I volunteered to watch their stuff and relegated myself to an obstructed view from beneath an overhang in Tomorrowland. I knew I had a very important audition coming up later that month - one that would determine whether or not I'd get to live a lifelong dream of working at Walt Disney World.

So, what did I do? I made a wish. Yes, this dumb old sap took Jiminy Cricket's words to heart:

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen. And it all starts with a wish."

I made a wish harder than I'd ever wished for anything before. I wished that I would have a bajillion opportunities to see "Wishes." SPOILER ALERT: My wish came true. I spent the next eight months twirling around in beautiful dresses and bringing joy to guests from all over the world, smiling for pictures, telling stories about living in a castle, and even holding the Beast's paw every once in a while.

Months later, I met a boy named David for the very first time. As we all gathered around the castle one night to watch what must've been my bajillionth viewing of "Wishes," I made another wish - one that I wished for even harder.

Three years later, I've found myself married to that boy named David.

Now, I'm not saying these dreams coming true are solely the product of wishing on stars. Still, I can't help but wonder if there was just a little pinch of pixie dust involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment