Tuesday, June 12, 2012

25 Things About the Tonys

I've finally crawled out of my hole of a bogged-down work week, the excitement of putting an offer in on a house (!!!), and my own general sense-of-having-an-outside-life-ness to finally watch the Tony Awards.

I'll say this much: I was actually successful in keeping my big nose out of social media until I watched it. I knew there'd be spoilers, and I wanted to watch it with no knowledge of who'd win. I know it shouldn't have been, but those were the 50 longest hours ever, gang.

And now, with no further ado, here's a stream-of-consciousness collection of some of my favorite bits from the show. (Note: Spoilers abound beneath the cut.)





  1. The opening Mormon Segment - Hold up, is that the chubby kid from Submissions Only?
  2. Neil Patrick Harris was a darn good host (even if we didn't see him the last 20 minutes of the show).
  3. Whenever those orchestral swells would come on and feature a song from Newsies, a tiny bit of me felt quite affirmed. (See #14)
  4. Nick Jonas, Broadway-savvy teen idol, introduces a Broadway show full of teen idols. Transparent, Tonys producers, but makes sense.
  5. Jeremy Jordan started singing "Once and For All," and I did a happy dance, but then...
  6. They broke into "Seize the Day." Again. Look, I'm aware that it's a great number to showcase most of the cast and the award-winning choreography, but us fansies have seen it done to DEATH on national TV. C'mon. Throw us a bone. We're the reason you made it to Broadway and went open-ended anyway.
  7. Way to scrimp on the choreography award, commercial breaks. Newsies only won like, two awards. You could've shown some screentime for choreography, for cripes' sakes.
  8. Hey, lead actress in Nice Work If You Can Get It - Jack Kelly called. He wants his entire costume back.
  9. BEN VEREEN OMG OMG OMG OMG AND YOU'RE SO SPUNKY AND WEARING CHUCKS WITH YOUR TUX AND IT'S LIKE A DR. SEUSS BOOK
  10. I hadn't seen any content on Peter and the Starcatcher until the Tonys, but I've gotta say, that's darn good entertainment. Christian Borle and Celia Keenan-Bolger were tearing it up.
  11. James Corden performing monologue from One Man, Two Guvnors - Chris Farley, is that you?
  12. The Best Man has like the most epic cast of old folks I've ever seen
  13. Tracie Bennett - I really REALLY hope you're better at singing like Judy Garland when it's a show night. Then again, she was a train wreck by that point in her career, so y'know what? Kudos for also sounding like a train wreck.
  14. Newsies winning Best Score = JUSTICE AT LAST FOR THE RAZZIES ("We're kings of New York"). It's been a lonnnnnng time coming, fansies.
  15. Ricky Martin, you're impressing me a little. Sounds like Adam Pascal when hitting those lower registers.
  16. Godspell, my fave of the Jesus-based musicals (those costumes! That youth! Corbin Bleu, even!) HUGH JACKMAN GETTING PULLED UP TO DANCE I JUST CAN'T
  17. Oh, Harvey. You and your inner tube and fancy drink.
  18. Loved Hairspray on the high seas, but srsly Tracy Turnblad, eat a sammich
  19. Seriously, Hugh Jackman is one of my flavorites. And his wife gave the award. And she hates public speaking. I love it so much.
  20. Candace Bergen. WATER YOU WEARIN SISTER
  21. No Tony for Jeremy Jordan. But you know what? He's gotten a crap-ton of awards and noms here lately, so I don't exactly feel rotten.
  22. Also, if that was his girlfriend next to him, she is adorable.
  23. Hahahah Leap of Faith didn't even get a celebrity intro
  24. As could be expected, Once won in all of its pretension, but at least Matt Stone and Trey Parker were a riot.
  25. BONUS: Neil Patrick Harris singing a brief line from "Seasons of Love." I was all, MARK PLEASE COME BACK
So, what did you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment